How to Leave a Comment

To leave a comment, click on the "__ comments" link at the bottom of the post, then after you write your response go down under "Choose an Identity" and click on the "Name/URL" choice. Type in your name and leave the URL blank, then press the "Publish your comment" orange button. Your comment will not appear until I approve it.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bess Beetles!

Did you know that 1 out of every 4 animals in this world is a beetle? Today we met our bess beetles! We observed them in many ways: we noticed that they have 2 eyes, a mouth, a small horn on its head, 2 antennae, 2 strong jaws (called mandibles), 3 body parts (a head, thorax, and abdomen), 2 pairs of wings (1 pair are the hard, black outer wings called elytra) and 6 legs. We noticed that they liked to crawl under tunnels, and didn't like their antennae touched. They didn't bite us when we held them, they just tickled our hands as they walked around. A few groups realized that if their bess beetle got scared, it might poop on them!


This nice close-up shot is on Niskua's kitty folder : )





3 comments:

the one and only NISKUA! said...

When ever I play with a bess beetle it poops on me. Even if I am doing nothing to it! So far I got pooped on like...10 times! And we only had them for a few days!I feel sooo lucky to have 3 pets at school!My kitty folder is in the backround!I am very glad that our bess beetle did not poop on my folder. That would be gross! Bye!:)niskua (:Bye!

Lyons Family said...

Hooray! Pictures! We've been hearing all about these beetles.

awesomenessMATT said...

WOW r beetle only pooped on josh when it pooped on him he flipped out and starting screaming! which I got 2 admit that it wuz funny :()